this is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
ci + 3 e– → c-ii (reduction)
c-iii – 1 e– → c-ii (oxidation)
2 h0 – 2 e– → 2 hi (oxidation)
ch3cho is an oxidizing agent, ch3cho is a reducing agent, h2 is a reducing agent.
- ch3cho – acetaldehyde , ethanal
- other names: acetic aldehyde , ethyl aldehyde , acetylaldehyde , nsc 7594
- appearance: colourless liquid ; gas or colourless liquid with pungent odour ; colorless liquid or gas (above 69°f) with a pungent, fruity odor.
- names: dihydrogen , hydrogen , h2
- appearance: odourless colourless compressed gas
- c2h5oh – ethanol
- other names: absolute alcohol , alcohol , cologne spirit
- appearance: colorless liquid ; colourless liquid with characteristic odour ; clear, colorless liquid with a weak, kiêng dèthereal, vinous odor.